Hello, everyone! Today I am going to show you how you can turn any pair of white shoes into a tie-dye masterpiece. I got the inspiration for this project here and was super excited to give it a try! I especially wanted to do this DIY project because I am going to the gay pride parade in Chicago on June, 28th and figured they would be a perfect addition to my outfit.
Everything you need:
1. A tie-dye kit of the rainbow. I got mine at Walmart because I have come to the conclusion that Michael’s is a rip off (unless they are having a sale).
2. A pair of white canvas shoes
3. A plastic bag and some painters tape.
Get it done:
1. Take the shoelaces out of your shoes and tape off all rubber areas. This step isn’t necessary, but I think it gives the shoe a cleaner look.
2. Mix all dye following to kit instructions. I used the rainbow colors.
3. Place dye in stripes moving from the front of the shoe to the back. Some of my colors bled together, but that is mainly because I was really sloppy with the application. I basically threw the dye on.
4. Put your shoes into a plastic bag to keep the moisture in. My kit suggested waiting 6-8 hours, but I need up waiting almost 24 hours.
5. Remove all the tape and using a garden hose get all the excess dye off before putting them into the washing machine. I even filled up my utility sink and giving these another rinse.
6. Run your shoes though the wash along with anything else you tie dyed.
7. Let them air dry. It took my shoes about 24 hours to dry. Mainly because they got rained on. I didn’t take the soles out of my shoes because, but one of them did comes loss so I just super glued it back down.
8. Replace laces and you are done!
Happy crafting ❤